Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Romans 8 by Reformation Day

I've resolved to memorize Romans 8 by Oct 31. I started on the third, so that gives me 4 weeks to do it. I've thought of some tips for anyone who wants to do this type of thing:

  1. Use the same bible. You'll not only keep to the same version, you'll actually see the text in your head and remember the words based on the location of the text in your mind's eye.
  2. Get an audio bible in the same version. I've got Max McLean's ESV bible, so it's really helpful. Listen to it as often as you can.
  3. Get a buddy. Someone who can coach you through. You'd be surprised how much a prompt will trigger your recollection of the verse.
  4. Read the chapter twice each time you sit to read it. First time read it through and don't pause to ponder or anything. The second time, slow down a bit and consider what is being said.
  5. Trudge through the dry periods. There is bound to be a few days where it gets boring. Keep truckin' . Pray harder and pray for a deeper love of His Word.
  6. Pray. Pray before every reading and pray after every reading. The enemy will fill your mind and life with distractions and doubts. Pray the armor of God. Pray for a love of His Word and an understanding of His Word.

I plan on doing this a lot more now. It's been so rewarding to have it stored in my mind and my heart. I recall it and it strengthens me.

May you be blessed!

No comments:

http://www.biblebb.com/files/spurgeon/0403.htm

The Gospel in 6 minutes - John Piper