Friday, October 17, 2008

How do you talk about death to unbelievers?

I just read an article in Christian News Northwest this morning about Preston, and it rekindled the mourning I've felt for him. It's also sparked some new conversations. And I find myself leaning on the "it's sad" excuse everytime I speak to unbelievers about Preston's death. Is this wrong? Should I be a beacon of hope to them? What about this causes me to fall on their sympathies rather than my own faith? Is that a sin?

I'm gonna try to examine these questions here.

First of all, I don't think it's wrong. Not really. At least not in the sense of being unexpected. I think it's natural to sympathize with the loss. Secondly, I can use it as a springboard to witness the gospel to them. I did this with my brother, and sorta used the respect that many unbelievers have given to me (isn't that funny?) who would normally tune me out or outright tell me they're not interested in "my religion". This tragedy has amazingly softened people's hearts. I've seen many people who would normally avoid any talk about religion being more open to hearing about my faith. It reminds me of Paul when he says "For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. " (Romans 1.19-20)

And this ended up working out pretty well, actually. I spoke to my brother about death in general, and told him about the funeral, where there were so many people who were, while greiving, rejoicing at the same time because we KNOW that Preston is at home with our Lord. He asked me how I could know such a thing, and I was able to tell him about the resurrection of Christ. I spoke to him for quite a long time about 1Corinthians 15, and the actual witnesses (500 people saw Christ AFTER His crucifixion), and how that was a verifiable experience. Something more than just "blind faith" which he, and many others, think Christians have. It's not blind. It's based on facts and witnesses -- something I was able to share with him in depth. That's an amazing ice breaker!

As for whether or not it is sin to sympathize with the unbelievers who say "that's so tragic ... I'm sorry for your loss", and for me to reply with "ya it is .. he was a good guy, and we're gonna miss him" or some other trite reply like that. Yes. I believe it is. While I may not have directly denied my Lord, I said that the death of one of His saints was a bad thing. This denies the truths of Scripture when it speaks on this very topic:

Psalm 116:15 Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints.

1 Corinthians 15:55 "O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?"

Isn't this good news! Isn't this encouraging news? You bet it is. So why did I miss an opportunity to tell people this? Because I believed the sad news of death being a conquering victor over humanity rather than the fact of Christ's victory over death for all who believe. Death is the ultimate gospel message primer. To deny that is to deny the gospel itself. That is why it is sin to get on the mourning bandwagon with unbelievers. It is to BE an unbeliever at that moment in time. Thank God it is by the faith of Christ that I am saved. For if it were my own faulty faith, I would lose it to be sure. This is a concept relatively new to me, so I'm not dogmatic about it (perhaps I'll do a post on it in the future), but the kjv, a translation I normally don't find useful, translates Galatians 2.16 in a very interesting way:

Galatians 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.
So how are we saved? By our own faith? Or by the faith of the perfect One? I put my trust in HIS faith rather than my own, for my own is flawed and inconsistent. Does not God command us to believe, anyway? Does this not make it a Law? I believe it does. However, now we're getting off topic a bit and I think I've found my next topic to explore. I will say, however, that I cannot find another translation which translates it this way. Every other one translates it faith IN Christ. I'll leave you with this article to consider.

By the Faith of Christ, or our faith in Christ?
by Tony Warren

A good read, supported with an abundance of Scripture.

Having said all that, the death of Preston is glorifying God day by day. It is making an uncomfortable and un "PC" topic (religion) acceptable and is an excellent opportunity to share my faith. Now I need to act. For the glory of God.

No comments:

http://www.biblebb.com/files/spurgeon/0403.htm

The Gospel in 6 minutes - John Piper