Friday, October 10, 2008

The I.O.U.S. of prayer

This is an acronym from John Piper. While this is posted in his article How to Pray for the Pastoral Staff, (as well as mentioned in his series When I Don't Desire God: How to Fight for Joy, taken from the 2005 Regional Conference), I find that this is an excellent prayer to lift to the Lord before your own bible reading as well:

1. Ask God to give us an inclination to his Word and not to money or fame or power (Psalm 119:36), and to open our eyes to see wonderful things when we read his Word (Psalm 119:18), and to have hearts united in the fear of God rather than fragmented over a dozen concerns (Psalm 86:11), and to be satisfied in his steadfast love (Psalm 90:14). (This is the IOUS acronym I use almost every day in praying for those I love.)
Here they are for you to pray through:

Psalm 119:36 Incline my heart to your testimonies,

and not to selfish gain!


Psalm 119:18 Open my eyes, that I may behold

wondrous things out of your law.


Psalm 86:11 Teach me your way, O Lord,

that I may walk in your truth;

unite my heart to fear your name.


Psalm 90:14 Satisfy us in the morning with your steadfast love,

that we may rejoice and be glad all our days.


Grace to you

No comments:

http://www.biblebb.com/files/spurgeon/0403.htm

The Gospel in 6 minutes - John Piper