Sunday, September 21, 2008

The loss of a good friend


Yesterday I went to the funeral of my friend Preston Newby. He was the 24 year old youth pastor at my church. He died helping someone else. That doesn't surprise me one bit. That's the kind of man Preston was.

The thing that amazed me most was not that he died helping another (he truly lived his faith) or the amount of people who went to his funeral (there were hundreds) or the amount of news coverage (it's been the top story all week) or that the news hasn't edited the "Christianity" out of their news stories (they did when Damon Coates was shot). What amazed me the most was the impact that Preston had .. at only 24 years of age! It truly is a testimony to the way Christ can work through a single individual. Preston actually lived the life that many Christians merely say they live. His faith was a way of life for him, not just a talking point at dinner or a topic worthy of debate. That man is one of the most genuine, warm and Christ-honoring people I've ever had the priviledge of knowing. I do look forward to rejoicing with him together in front of the wonderful Savior we both have!

I'm so very proud of his wife, Tara
. She's been showing such composure and grace through all this. It is truly a testimony to God's faithfulness. Our Lord promises that He will never leave us in His exhortation to be content with what we have (Hebrews 13.5). It is in those very times when we are at risk of NOT being content that the Lord fulfills His promise. Tara has lost half of herself and God has indeed kept His word! He has NOT left Tara! He has NOT forsaken her! He's given her a supernatural strength and an abundant outpouring of love from her family and church family.

Our church body has also done some amazing things over the last week. So many people have been so involved and supportive of everyone else. I've come closer to some people I've previously just waved at from across the room.

One thing I regret is not having known Preston as well as I would have liked. I call him a good friend, but only because he was a good friend to me. I wouldn't call myself a good friend of his, though he would wholly disagree. He was just that kind of guy. He put others first.

He and his wife have been over to our house, but it's been a while. We had dinner, talked theology, played guitar and sang a couple hymns, but ya know what .. I wish I would have spent more time with him. We always talked about it. We always said "ya, we should get together some time" ... and then just go on with our lives. How I hate those words now ... some time .. what does that mean? It means "not now because I'd rather do something else". That's not good enough any more. The one thing I'm going to take away from this is to turn "some time" into "this time". I'm going to set up a night -- once a month maybe -- where a bunch of guys I know will get together and go bowling or something (it's the first thought that came to my mind .. maybe we'll do different stuff). But I'm not going to just say "some day". I'm going to actually do this. Lord willing.

My God has glorified Himself in the death of Preston in such a way that I can't deny it. Oh wow. Such bonding. Such faithfulness. Such love. This is only the beginning. I love you, Preston. I'm gonna miss you. But we'll see each other soon enough. As soon as the Lord is done with me.

I was looking at his blog today and read this post he posted July 29th. It's so fitting that he would write something like this. And I am glad that he has finally received the reward he so longed for. He said:

I look forward to the day in eternity when I can actually do this perfectly... until then I trust in God's grace and mercy day by day to continue to help me grow and mature in Him until the day I see Him face to face!
My friend, you are there. As for the questions that some may ask. Questions like "where is God in all this?" Preston had also addressed that question. Read this post.

Preston, may your own words comfort those who are mourning.

No comments:

http://www.biblebb.com/files/spurgeon/0403.htm

The Gospel in 6 minutes - John Piper