Friday, April 18, 2008

Begging the Question

One of my pet peeves is the improper use of a phrase, and this one is probably the most widely misused phrase, hands down. I hear it on the radio and tv, I read it in all sorts of news articles, and hear it just about everywhere I go.

What does it mean to "beg the question"? Does it mean, as many people incorrectly claim it to mean, that some particular situation or comment "begs" for a question to be asked?

NO!!

It is a logical term used in regards to arguments. To "beg" the question is to ask that the very point at issue be conceded. In other words, it is to say "I'm right and I don't need to support that assertion. This debate would go a lot faster if you would just admit that."

For more information on this (and many more logical fallacies) go here:

Begging the Question

Fallacy Files

There ... that's off my chest now. If this post informs just ONE person, I'll sleep well. lol

Blessings in Christ

No comments:

http://www.biblebb.com/files/spurgeon/0403.htm

The Gospel in 6 minutes - John Piper